Stone & ChalkFintech Startup? Your Future Starts Here.
If you are a highly accomplished and successful hands-on leader who is looking to make a significant impact at the heart of collaboration between startups, scaleups and large organisations, you will appreciate the uniqueness and importance of this incredible opportunity.
We would like to invite someone who lives and breathes startups and scaleups, who has an exceptional ability to listen, understand and translate customer insights into a series of customer-centric products that can be scaled and standardised. If this sounds like you, keep reading.
S&C’s mission is to help startups commercialise and scale by supplying cutting edge innovation to corporates and governments as customers. By succeeding in this mission, we are facilitating the next generation of Australia’s leading technology companies and increasing the competitiveness of established industries. All of Stone & Chalk’s efforts and support are focused on supporting five key need areas namely: capital; customers; talent; expertise and community.
As we ourselves transition from startup to scaleup, we need to raise the bar further and continuously improve both the services we provide as well as the way in which we provide them. This is a step-change in capability and performance opportunity for a highly motivated, highly empathetic person that has a demonstrated track record of displaying leadership in complex and dynamic environments as well as an ability to standardise service offerings into scalable and repeatable modules.
“You can’t have a community without participation. Members must take action to move a community forward.”
The Head of Community at Stone & Chalk will be responsible for designing the end to end experience and engagement framework for our community groups of startup residents, alumni, mentors and investors.
By devising a clear content and programming plan, the Head of Community will work with the Entrepreneur in Residence, Hub General Managers and Hub Community Managers to design and implement a strategy and process that will build a thriving community at a local and national level.
Reporting directly to the CEO, as Head of Community for Stone & Chalk, you will be responsible to design and lead the delivery of the services we provide to some of the most promising ventures in Australia across a range of cities as well as industries. Currently, Stone & Chalk operates across Fintech, Insurtech, Regtech, Cybersecurity, Connected systems, Data Intelligence, Agtech and Medtech. You don’t need expertise in any particular industry vertical, rather you need to be very discerning and have a natural ability to learn quickly and be exceptionally curious.
Given how important the success of startups and scaleups are to Stone & Chalk you will be making a significant contribution to Stone & Chalk’s ongoing strategy and continuing success across the company.
In order to succeed you will have strong human and customer-centred design skills, be an exceptional designer of programs and communicator with strong leadership, influencing and delivery skills. You will be working closely with other members of the leadership team and with Stone & Chalk’s Community Managers across multiple cities.
Your highly collaborative style will suit working in a small interdependent team. Qualities such as resilience, tenacity, leadership, teamwork and a positive attitude are attributes of your character that define you. You are energetic, engaged, intelligent, curious and people and customer-centric.
What does this actually look like?
1. The design of the community strategy and value proposition for resident startups, mentors, investors and the alumni experience – You have a passion and demonstrated expertise for building community and will utilise best practice CMX frameworks and models to build the foundations of a robust community strategy. You will bring key members of the team along the CMX journey to help shape the strategy.
2. The resident journey is yours to shape – You will own the end-to-end experience for residents and alumni from when they are on-boarded until they leave, ensuring that journeys are consistent, scalable and repeatable in every S&C geography.
3. Develop the ‘S&C Community Bible’/ Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) – you will document every part of the S&C experience and provide a playbook for Hub GMs and Community Managers to implement.
4. Accountable for content creation and activation of communications channels amongst the resident community – you seek to leverage opportunities to promote members, instill community values, highlight success stories, feature partners and their offers through various mediums including Stone Press, Slack, Digital Hub, Pitch Book, Corporate Partner newsletter, social events, etc.
5. Coaching the Community Managers – leading a community of practice amongst the Community Managers, sharing and building upon best practice and trialing new engagement approaches in the different geographies.
6. Engaging S&C Alumni and leveraging their success – Responsible for developing the alumni engagement strategy and proposition design, ensuring we maintain excellent relationships with alumni, leveraging their success and seeking ways to re-engage them through various offerings (programs & events).
7. Delivery and scale of our signature Mentor Program – automate tasks through the implementation of a digital platform, continually enhance the experience of both mentors and mentees by incorporating feedback, iterating on learnings and keep lifting the bar in terms of mentor quality, participant commitment and ‘matching’ secret sauce. Create effective branding and promotions strategy to attract great startups to S&C.
8. Design and delivery of our Investor Program and strategy – working with the Entrepreneur In Residence, you will be accountable for ensuring startups are pitch ready and have the key documentation in place for their capital raise. You will build relationships and grow the pool of Angels/ HNWs, Family Offices and VCs and facilitate curated introductions to promising S&C startups.
9. Ecosystem engagement – look for ways to leverage the community strategy, along with the marketing strategy to build brand presence across the ecosystem, through participation in and curation of community events, collaboration with relevant stakeholders, partnerships with like-minded organisations, and attendance at key functions.
10. Teamwork begins by building trust. You will be part of a small team and have a close working relationship with the Hub GMs, the Community Managers, the EIR, Head of Partnerships, Customer Manager/ Facilities Manager, Marketing Manager, Operations Coordinator and Networks & Digital Service Coordinator, contributing to each other’s success.
Are you a community-building expert/ human API, who thrives on delivering outstanding customer experience by connecting like-minded people, with the ideas, knowledge, networks, experiences and opportunities to encourage action, help them thrive, reach their potential, give back and become passionate promoters?
Do you have:
● Experience in community building (at least 6-10 years) in helping to manage and cultivate dynamic communities.
● A passion for customer service – you have a passion for delivering exceptional and proactive customer service. You enjoy liaising with customers to understand needs, and design content and programs to meet these needs.
● Leadership mindset and capability – an ability to lead, coach and inspire your team to harness their own passion, creativity and capabilities to deliver on the vision and objectives and exceed expectations.
● Superb organisational skills – an ability to prioritise project plans to achieve key milestones, ensuring the right resourcing mix, and communicating progress updates, to the wider team.
● A desire to always value-add – by leveraging opportunities and connections that have the potential to increase engagement and foster members’ sense of identity, trust, participation and value in the community
● Confident public speaking and networking skills – you will be communicating with over 150+ start-up companies based at Stone & Chalk, 25+ Corporate Partners, 75+ high calibre mentors, and hundreds of investors, stimulating conversations and participation across the entire ecosystem
● A university degree with 5+ years experience (post qualification) in a client-facing, community building role.
Finally, do you thrive on juggling a varied and complex workload?
If the answer is yes, we’d love to hear from you!
What’s in it for you?
● A varied and diverse role – every day is a different day!
● A key member of the Leadership team and an integral part of what makes the S&C tick.
● The opportunity to immerse yourself in the startup ecosystem – as you get to know our residents, the problems they are solving and the new technologies they are using.
● Learn more about new technologies through curated masterclasses and access networking opportunities – every year we host 500+ events in our Sydney hub alone.
● A successful startup at a fireside chat one day and an overseas delegation the next. You could meet a new person or learn something new every day!
● The chance to contribute to the 4th industrial revolution by helping our startups grow successfully and create the jobs of the future.
Please send your application including resume and cover letter, (as a minimum and please feel free to add any other material that helps you shine) by clicking on the Apply for Job button.
Please ensure in the opening sentence of your application you put “Head of Community, <Your Name>”